Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Dubai - Dublin

    May 12, 2016 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ 🌫 10 °C

    A better flight this time - only about 7 1/2 hours this leg, which is bearable. Blindingly obvious why it's called the Emerald Isle as there was nothing but green fields as far as the eye could see from the plane.
    Christine - we waved to you as the plane flew over Manchester, but you would've been too busy packing to see !!!
    Once we got inside the terminal the thing that struck us most was how eerily quiet it was, especially as it was about 12.30 p.m. Caught the bus to the city - closer to the airport there were lots of lovely conjoined cottages all with gardens that were neat as a pin and lots of lovely trees. As you got closer to the city they became a little less neat and there were lots of shopfronts that weren't particularly attractive, with the occasional one that's sign was written in gold lettering on black ( looked typically Irish). Not too long a walk to the hotel, which is next to the main fire station and just around the corner form the main Garda station so we should be pretty safe here!! The hotel foyer is quirky, with purple couches and an eclectic style. Room wasn't ready so we dumped our bags and walked to Grafton Street via Trinity College grounds. They are beautiful and we plan to come back for a wander. The grass was bright green and the buildings magnificent - what a beautiful place to spend your student days. We walked along Grafton Street, the main shopping street. The overall impression of the place was one of disruption because they are laying tracks on the roads and there are temporary crossings on almost every street sO you can't get an uninterrupted view of the area. There were sooo many people - everywhere you looked there seemed to be waves of people coming towards you in every direction. We started to flag pretty seriously so went back to our room which, thankfully, was ready and showered away all that airplane grime! Heavenly. Had a bite to eat in the hotel and then hit the bed for some much-needed proper sleep, as neither of us had really slept on the plane in over 11 hours of flying.
    First two shots are of the hotel, second two of Trinity College and the last two taken on the way back to the hotel, with Doyle's pub and finally the huge Garda headquarters, a very old & bleak looking building.
    Read more