Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Dublin

    May 13, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Walked half of Dublin to find Dublinia, a museum about the history of the city from the Vikings through the Medieval Ages & how archaeologists have discovered the events of the past. It is in an old church which is joined to Christ Church Cathedral by an old stone arch over the road. It was all explained in a way that was very easy to grasp - Ron was in his element learning about his 'an editors'. They were a hardy bunch those Vikings!! No photos allowed except on the Viking level the medieval section was also interesting but the fascinating section was about how the archaeologists dig, determine the age and preserve what they unearth. In the 1970s the Dublin City Council decided to build its new offices on the dock are! Which was known to be rich in archeological treasures. After a public outcry some of the land was saved for excavation but most was simply built on. What a tragedy when you consider how rich in history this area was.
    We crossed the bridge into the cathedral. The ticket gave us entry to the crypt and it wa amazing. The area was huge and contained the treasures of the cathedral, including illuminated books, gold and silverware, costumes from The Tudors ( some of the series was filmed in the cathedral) & a case,containing the skeletons of the cathedrall's cat & rat. There was a tiny shop (of course) and chairs to sit on, almost like a cafe, which seemed a bit bizarre.

    Dinner tonight was Irish stew with Guiness at O'Neills pub - delicious! Then, after walking all day, bed!!!
    Read more