Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Dublin

    May 23, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Caught a taxi into the city after breakfast and waited for the Hop on Hop off bus. Fantastic commentary with loads of Irish humour. We got off at the Jameson Distillery stop and did the tour, which included a comparative tasting of Jameson, Johnnie Walker & Jack Daniels. The Jameson was by far the nicest and after the free glass at the end I felt a tad lightheaded!! Hopped on another bus ( more Irish humour) and continued around the city. Went through Phoenix Park, the largest public park in Europe, and saw the red deer, Dublin Zoo and the Irish President's residence. Continued on to the stop near the GPO and went to the Easter Rising exhibition. Very interesting and sobering. Forty civilians were killed when the PO was atta led, including a two year old boy in a pram. There's merchandise and memorabilia throughout the city, banners in the streets and posters in buildings.
    Had a wander and then walked back to the hotel, past the American Embassy, which is a very strange circular building. The footpaths are very wide here and it's a very pleasant city to walk in.
    Dinner with some friends from the tour and then bed.
    Shot of the gates at the Guiness Storehouse, outside the Jameson Distillery, in the courtyard & Ron enjoying his free taste. Last two at the Easter Rising exhibition. The final shot is the Childrens Memorial, with one rock for each child killed in the Rising - the age of each child is represented by the size of each rock.
    Read more