Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Charlottesville, Virginia

    June 2, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Left Norfolk amid heavy mist, which lasted formany miles as we travelled towards Virginia. We decided to go to the Yorktown Victory Centre but the GPS sent us to the totally wrong place so we changed plans and went instead to the Yorktown Battlefield in the Colonial National Historical Park This was the site of the battle fought by George Washington & the British General Cornwallis and the only way to see it all was to take a driving tour of the site. We then drove on to Yorktown, a lovely small town, all built in the colonial style. It was by the ocean and people were enjoying the beautiful day on small man-made beaches along the shoreline. When we eventually left Yorktown we passed the Victory Centre, which we had tried to find earlier, but it was getting late and we headed for Charlottesville. Emily, the GPS didn't earn her keep today and we ended up ditching her and taking a more direct route. Stayed at the Inn at Monticello - a lovely period B&B. Dinner in town and then bed, after a day that was a tad frustrating!! Charlottesville is the home of the University of Virgnina, a large university with the largest collection of Australian Indigenous Art in the United States.
    The first shot is of Moore House, in the Historical Park. This is where the terms of surrender were negotiated in 1781. Next four shots are of Yorktown and the last is us in the rockers enjoying a glass of Virginian wine on the porch of the Inn!
    Read more