Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Aloha Hawaii

    October 30, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our visit to Honolulu is drawing to a close as we await our red-eye home to Vancouver.

    The last couple of days have been spent lounging on the beach and re-visiting some of our favorite moments of the time we spent here. Friday we went for a ninety minute catamaran ride along Waikiki Beach out to Diamond Head and back. The strong winds made for great sailing weather and the rolling waves had the bow of the boat riding and falling, drenching the passengers seated up front. But the waves weren't the only source of water hitting the deck. We all got a pretty good soaking from a sun shower that lasted about ten minutes. It all made for a really enjoyable ride.

    Our last meal here was at Duke's on the beach where we treated ourselves to the best salad bar on Oahu. The selection was outstanding and all the produce was first rate. Hopefully it will keep our bellies filled for the six hour flight home.

    The trip has done us a lot of good. It's been a bit of a stressful time in our lives since Brenda's Dad passed and this brief vacation has allowed us to forget about the issues at hand and just chill out for a couple of weeks. We took each day as it came and did only the things that really appealed to us. It's been great.

    We really enjoyed Hawaii, although it's doubtful we'll ever return. It's a beautiful part of the world, the locals are super friendly and the weather is pretty darn nice. But it's a little too touristy for our tastes. That being said, there are things here that we adored. The Hawaiian license plate proclaims this as the Aloha State and is adorned with a rainbow. When we first arrived, we wondered why, but we soon discovered the reason. The trade winds blow moisture laden clouds over the islands. As the clouds cross the mountain ranges, the moisture falls from them in the form of brief, but sometimes intense showers. You can be walking down the street in bright sunshine while, at the same time,and get soaked by the falling precipitation. Of course, the combination of sunshine and rain produces spectacular rainbows. I'd have to say we saw at least one rainbow every other day. In fact, just before I began typing this entry, a high school marching band was rehearsing on the football field not far from our condo. Suddenly, the skies opened under the bright sunshine and a rainbow formed, starting at the entrance of our building and spreading across the football field and into the mountains. The band happened to be playing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" at the time. Freaky.

    Brenda's Dad was supposed to come to Hawaii a few years ago, but at the last minute his health precluded him from taking the trip. I guess he regretted never having visited here and felt we shouldn't live our lives without at least one trip to the islands. The generous Hawaiian fund he started for us spurred us on to make this trip and we will always be grateful to him. Although he never made it to Hawaii while he was alive, he was here with us in our hearts. Thanks for a wonderful vacation, Daddy.
    Read more