Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Il Castello di Roccascalegna

    April 19, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Atop a steep stony crag in the foothills of the Apennines sits a castle, parts of which have been there since the 11th century.

    The vile Baron Corvo de Corvis ruled the land in the 1500s and enacted a law that entitled him to bed local brides on their wedding nights, thus making the most of his lordly rights by stealing their virginity in accordance with “Jus primae noctis” custom. Well, Karma got the best of him when one night he was stabbed to death by a particularly feminist donna.

    Our tour of the castle was most interesting with each room providing some description of what went on there back in the day. The most disturbing room was the torture chamber where various devices, such as a rack used to stretch wrongdoers until their joints dislocated, and a tall, thin wooden pyramid upon whose point witches or females possessed by demons were sat and ……uhmmm.....penetrated......as gravity took over. Ugh!

    The views from the castle were outstanding, but anyone visiting should wear shoes that are suited for climbing.

    Check out the amazing drone footage on this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/ogu-3lqOA0E
    Read more