Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Christmas in Mexico City

    December 24, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    At 2:40 PM, we flew out of Mazatlan on an Interjet flight en route to ten days in Mexico City. This last minute change to our winter staycation in Mazatlan came about when our original Airbnb turned out to be a dud and we couldn't find another that could accommodate our entire stay there.

    However, since Brenda and I had wanted to make a side trip to the capital city anyway, it all worked out in the end.

    We weren't expecting much from the no-frills Interjet flight, but we were pleasantly surprised. First of all, there was more than sufficient legroom to accommodate me, even when the person sitting in front of me fully reclined her seatback. And then, half way through the flight, the crew came down the aisle handing out snacks and complimentary drinks, INCLUDING COCKTAILS!!! Dos gin y agua tonica por favor! Wow, Air Canada barely hands out water on cross country flights. Lastly, our pilot gently dropped the Airbus onto the tarmac in Mexico City twenty minutes ahead of schedule.

    We metroed into the city and found our hotel without any difficulty. A subway ride here costs five pesos ($0.35 CDN) so we only spent about seventy cents to get to our hotel.

    We chose our hotel for its proximity to a number of highly rated vegan restaurants. Unfortunately, by the time we checked in, all of them had already closed for Xmas eve. And that folks, is how Brenda and I had our "A Christmas Story" moment of a meal of Chinese food in a food court, just before they closed.

    We managed to find a well stocked grocery store where we picked up some fruit for breakfast, as we believe most places will still be closed after the late night posada celebrations. We're told most places will re-open at noon on Christmas day so we should be all set for food the rest of the day.

    And if not, there's always Chinese food.

    Hohoho!
    Read more