Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    How Sweet It Is

    October 27, 2022 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    France has the Macaron, Portugal has Pastel de Nata, Italy has Cannoli, Austria has Sacher Torte, The USA has Apple Pie and Thailand has Mango and Sticky Rice. But here in Argentina, Alfajores are king.

    An alfajor has a filling of dulce de leche sandwiched between two crumbly butter cookies and then dipped in either dark chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate.

    I have always had a serious weakness for dulce de leche (not vegan, but worth the cheat) and as soon as we arrived here and saw these sweet beauties in every pastry shop and cafe window: I wanted one. They come in many different sizes, from the diameter of an Oreo to that of a hamburger. Good bakeries make their own versions and a myriad of individually-wrapped choices abounds in supermarkets.

    At the French based supermarket, Carrefour, we first bought a selection of all three different chocolate-coated Alfajores. The next time we were shopping, we bought a six-pack of individually wrapped dark chocolate Alfajores. Those babies didn't last very long. And then, during one of our last visits to Carrefour, we finally gave in to the "buy two and save 70% off the 2nd package" offer and left the store with two six-packs.

    Sadly, those two six-packs have take a serious toll on the chances of my ever having an abdominal six-pack.

    It's a good thing we're leaving Mendoza tomorrow.
    Read more