Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    More Alfajores, Please

    November 11, 2022 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    With ever-tightening waistbands on our pants, Brenda and I have vowed to curb our Alfajores habit, limiting our consumption of the sweet treats to one per week. Because of all the money we're saving by not buying dozens of the supermarket variety Alfajores, we now splurge on the premium brands for our Friday afternoon indulgence. So now, instead of paying fifty cents CDN for one, we're shelling out $1.25. We tried two varieties each from prize winning producers Entre Dos and Portal del Viento. In the end, we're not convinced they're worth the extra pesos. We need to find a pastry shop that makes and sells them fresh. Yeah....that's the ticket!

    My obsession with this Argentine equivalent of crack led me to do some internet research where I learned that on October 7, 8 and 9th, the 24th annual Alfajor festival was held in Cumbre, just north of Cordoba. Missed it by THAT much.

    Not only that: there is also the Campeonato Mundial Del Alfajor (The Alfajor World Cup) which, next March, will be held in the southern beach resort town of Mar del Plata. Even if Spanish isn't your thing, check out the website: https://mundialdelalfajor.com/
    On that site I learned that seventy Alfajores are consumed in Argentina each second. That's 6,048,000 EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

    Hmmm...March is only a month and a half past my planned departure date. What if...... Nah, I'd have to buy a second seat for the plane ride home.
    Read more