Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Wednesday

    September 20, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    20th September
    Our hotel is in Tallard, near Gap in the Haute-Alpes, Provence region and the nearby aerodrome is the best known centre in France for parachute activities. We watch some sky diving as we have breakfast, the manager is very friendly and keeps coming to chat to us. There is a lovely blue sky this morning and we see a black squirrel as we leave.
    We drive through the centre of Gap which is very busy, the area between Gap and Grenoble is stunningly beautiful and there are a few white clouds around the top of the Alps. We are following Route Napoleon which is the D1085, it's actually the route taken by Napoleon in 1815 on his return from Elba.
    We are staying in a very unusual chambre d'hote in Macon tonight, it's decorated in an eastern style. It is just a few feet away from the River Saone and when we walk alongside we see a kingfisher land on the side of a boat and then take off again. Our host is a charming woman and she brings us glasses of red wine and tomatoes from the garden. There is a kitchen and I think she said she would bring us breakfast to our room in the morning, we'll see...
    Read more