Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Purnululu (Bungle Bungle Range)

    May 29, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Only entering mainstream consciousness in the 1980's, Purnululu was definitely one of Australia's best kept secrets. It's still not particularly easy to get to but well worth the 53km 4 wheel drive track off Highway One! This takes around an hour and a half. And that just gets you to the Visitor Centre. From there you have another 45min drive south to reach Cathedral Gorge. But oh, what an amazing place. It takes about an hour to walk in from the car park and the rewards were great. The sheer size of the gorge is unbelievable - and the echoing acoustics are incredible, hence the name of course. In one of the photos Graham is completely dwarfed by his surroundings. The "seahorse" shape made by the curving walls was pretty speccy also.

    This is the spot where you also see the famous striped "domes" or beehives, better known as the "Bungle Bungles". Up close they are completely stunning of course and our photography doesn't do them justice. This coloured landscape is breathtaking for its landforms and native flora, including some beautiful native grevillea that is truly stunning against a deep blue sky.

    We made our way to the North side where Graham did Echidna Gorge - a 2hr walk along a pebbly creek bed, enjoying the scenery as the rock "walls" became progressively narrower. Stunning!

    So that was Purnululu - so glad we did it, 26 water crossings in and 26 water crossings out. Bucket list ticked!
    Read more