Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Ningaloo Coast

    June 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We arrived at Osprey Bay campground and got ourselves ready for two weeks of sun, snorkelling and sand. Picture perfection every day with the temperature a nice 26-27 degrees. Our camp spot gave us fabulous views over the bay, with happy hour sunsets 🌅 over the water becoming a habit that will be hard to give up! Of course nothing's perfect - the wind was annoying at times, especially those "beastly easterlies" - so we were grateful for the annexe at least. We also managed to pick a time when the tides were a bit dodgy so the fishing wasn't as promising as it might have been. I did manage some decent squid and Graham pulled up a few octopuses 🐙, gar, leather jackets, dart, silver whiting and an impressive puffer fish as well. Only the squid made it to the plate.

    The snorkelling was amazing fun, despite the odd shark or two hanging around. There are a few different spots along this coast that are just stunning, Turquoise Bay and The Oyster Stacks in particular. Proximity to shore means even kids or less able swimmers can get out there and have a look. Words can't really do justice to the experience of getting close to an amazing array of corals, colour-drenched tropical 🐟, turtles, giant lobsters (not to be confused with the giant prawn at Exmouth), stingrays and even the odd shark.

    The Ningaloo ticked a box and we're so glad we did it. It also means that from now on we head South, leaving the last of the tropics (and thongs/tshirt days) behind us. 😖
    Read more