Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 125

    Truffle hunting, Manjimup

    August 25, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    What a fabulous morning! We arrived bright and early at the Truffle & Wine Co. ready to learn about and hopefully find some seriously good truffles. Greeted with coffee and PowerPoint (can't escape the bloody things!), our guide Debra explained about the farm, how truffles are grown, harvested etc. They are Australia's biggest producers of the French black truffle, highly sought after around the world.

    We then enjoyed breakfast of truffle scrambled egg with truffle butter - delicious! Eggs and truffle are one of those heavenly matches (we learned) that once tried are never forgotten. After this it was time to get amongst the hazelnut trees with Jazz, our adorable golden lab truffle hunter. It is the end of the season so she had to work hard to find them but find them she did, even if they were pretty small. She simply scratches the ground and there it is - clever pooch!

    We came back to the winery with our cache and enjoyed a wine tasting before a wonderful lunch of truffle gnocchi (best gnocchi we've ever had) and baked Brie with honey truffle hazelnuts. Did I say decadent???

    Another totally unique experience - so lucky. 😄
    Read more