Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 158

    Coffin Bay & Port Lincoln

    September 27, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Great coastal environments, both places we really enjoyed. Long walks, sea gazing and oysters.

    (We tried to recreate our last visit to Coffin Bay by hiring a tinnie and catching a dozen King George but funnily enough things are different these days -apparently you now need a boat license of all things. So we just ate more oysters instead. Take THAT, Coffin Bay!)

    On our way to Coffin Bay we passed through Streaky Bay where we found an amazing outcrop of granite formations known as inselbergs. The whole landscape had an eerie, "Outlander" vibe that was pretty cool. We also took a touristy drive along the gorgeous coastline around Elliston where they've added a few statues to draw the eye. Impressive.

    Port Lincoln itself was yet another opportunity to indulge in local wine and oysters. We missed tuna season unfortunately but gained a new appreciation for smoked seafood. The foreshore and marina are looking pretty tired, but then the place probably comes to life in summer. Sadly the wind kept our fishing rods in the car this time. Off to Arno Bay and hopefully better weather!
    Read more