Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Cairns Markets

    August 28, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We enjoyed all of the markets here in Cairns and are really hoping to return again. Our first was yungabarra in the Atherton Tablelands…a steep and twisty drive at 430 in the morning but a lovely market and gorgeous little town. We did a few touristy things on the way home including visiting the Curtain Fig. “This large fig tree in Curtain Fig Tree National Park is unique because the extensive aerial roots, that drop 15 metres to the forest floor, have formed a ‘curtain’. Over hundreds of years these roots have strangled the host causing it to fall into a neighbouring tree-a stage unique to the development of this fig. Vertical fig roots then formed a curtain-like appearance and the host trees rotted away, leaving the freestanding fig tree. The tree is thought to be nearly 50 metres tall, with a trunk circumference of 39 metres, and is estimated to be over 500 years old. “ (from the website, not me! 😂)
    We also managed a stop at the Crystal Cave in Atherton where we picked up a Geode for Ollie and Jack and made a little video for them. (Geodes are spherical rocks - hollow inside and containing crystallised minerals).
    Read more