Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Cumberland Dam and Croydon

    September 8, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Headed to spend Overnight at Cumberland Dam, a gorgeous spot filled with an array of bird and animal life. On the way we stopped in for a quick splash at Innot Hot Springs where some sections of the creek were seriously 🔥! Not comfortable at all, although we managed to find a stretch that was just right for Jasper and ourselves to have. Bit of a 🦶 and 🐾 soak!
    At Cumberland we explored the dam of course, the setting sun giving us some lovely colours. We even got up super early to try for some morning light as well. The chimney is a remnant of the areas gold mining past, the Cumberland Mine being the most successful and largest mine in the area.
    The next day we headed on to Georgetown - an amazing locality again built on the gold mines. Here they have an awesome visitor centre and have restored a row of buildings as a monument to the towns past. They include the Policeman’s cottage, Police station complete with cells out the back, the Courthouse any the picture theatre that is still in use today. They have even preserved the old China Town area just outside of the town, where Chinese miners turned their hand to market gardening when the racist mining laws prevented them from working in the mines. We spent a fascinating hour or two here but could easily have stayed much longer. Thanks Georgetown!
    Read more