Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Plaza de España, Sevilla

    August 25, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    The square is large (170 meters in diameter) and semi-elliptical in shape, which symbolizes Spain 's embrace of its former American territories, and looks towards the Guadalquivir river , as a route to follow towards America . 

    Its total area is approximately 50,000 square meters, of which 19,000 are built-up and the remaining 31,000 are free space. It is bordered by a canal that runs for 515 m and is crossed by four bridges. The buildings that surround the square are structured in a central building, wings with intermediate buildings that compensate for an excessive length, and towers at the ends. This plan responds very closely to the formal scheme of the type of Palladian villa with curved wings, such as the Villa Badoer by Fratta Polesine or Villa Trissino in Meledo, shown by the Italian architect Andrea Palladio in his Four Books of Architecture , which Aníbal González knew.

    The construction is made of exposed brick and has extensive ceramic decoration . The roofs of the plaza gallery have wooden coffered ceilings that are supported by marble columns. The backs of the benches and some lampposts are made of wrought iron.

    The medallions with effigies of illustrious Spaniards, the marble columns and the coffered ceilings give the whole a Renaissance atmosphere. According to the writings of Aníbal González, his inspiration for designing the square had been the Spanish Renaissance, the Sevillian architect contributing new modern elements. The two towers that flank the square, which provide a baroque -style atmosphere , are 74 meters high.
    Read more