Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 192

    ‚The reason of life is to share‘

    February 22, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Near Chefchaouen is the Talassemtane Nature Park with the 70m high Akchour waterfalls.

    You can get there by shared taxi, a very efficient mean of transport.
    You will find these taxis at designated stations in the city. From there they go to interesting places in the surrounding area and also to other cities.
    You arrive at the meeting point and wait until enough passengers have arrived. That is seven people including the driver. Often the cars have enough seats, but not always:
    One of my trips took place in an old Mercedes where we sat in the back row with four people. The car had already travelled more than 700,000 km!
    Because of the full Taxis everyone pays the equivalent of just over 3 euros for a one-hour ride.

    So I take this taxi to the Akchour waterfall and directly meet a young Moroccan (Ilyass) at the station, who I had met before.

    I set off on the several-hour hike to the actual big waterfall. Small waterfalls appear every few metres and delay my stay, because there is a lot to discover.
    The actual big waterfall turns out to be the smallest highlight, as it has almost no water today.
    Instead, the best moments are those on the way there: a bird 🐦 here, a butterfly 🦋 there and the view of the valley.
    In addition, I spend the rest of the day with Ilyass and his friends, eating tajine and other typical dishes with them. They teach me a lot about their culture and language.

    Farid, one of the boys, finally says at one moment 'the reason of life is to share'.
    A philosophy of life that I would like to adopt more in the future.
    Read more