Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 302

    Gunkanjima

    February 26, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Hashima Island is an abandoned mining colony on a small, narrow island built up with towering sea walls and apartment blocks (hence the nickname “battleship island” [Gunkanjima]). The original island was only about 1/3 of its current size, which is why you’ll often hear it called an “artificial” island. Anyway, after operating for about 100 years, the coal mine was closed in 1974 (as energy demand switched to oil), and the buildings were left to crumble.

    In 2009, the entry ban was lifted and tourism began. You can walk a short, fixed route to observe the history and witness the forces of nature. The boat only lands ~60% of the time, or less, since the island faces the open sea and the dock is… not ideal. I felt a bit disconcerted since all the schoolkids were wearing lifejackets, but I think they’re required to regardless.

    The site is an important example of the Meiji-era industrial revolution in Japan, when coal, iron, and steel fueled shipbuilding, and was recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2015 (nominated in 2008). However, there’s a lot of controversy since many of the miners were brought from Korea and China and forced to work.
    Read more