Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Harlem, NYC

    January 20, 2014 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    What a day!
    So many New York bucket list items in one day.
    Ride the New York subway, see NYC in the snow, visit a genuine New York apartment and go to a Harlem restaurant.
    The day started with breakfast at the hotel diner, which was very good.
    Then a nice stroll down Broadway to Aimans apartment, from the 29th floor the views over the city are brilliant but even that high up you are still dwarfed by the other sky scrapers.
    Then it was of to the subway to get the uptown train to Central Park, the park is beautiful at the best of times, but in the winter months it's spectacular, with the frozen lake and the leafless trees allowing you to see more of the surrounding skyscrapers, reminding you of the unusual location of this beautiful park.
    After a rather expensive beer in the famous Central Park Boathouse restaurant, it was off to the subway for another uptown train to Harlem.
    This train was a lot older than the earlier train we took, it was just like the rickety old ones you see in 60s movies and American TV shows.
    After a while we reached our destination, 125th st station, the furthest north I've been in NYC. We strolled through a very run-down area to our final destination, the famous Harlem, Dinosaur BBQ and Grill restaurant.
    I know people usually say, wow that's the best food I've ever had, but this was, the ribs Sheila and I shared were the best we've ever had.
    Then after another subway ride back to Aimans apartment to pick-up our shopping (I'd bought some new jeans in the Levis, store, absolute bargain at $23 ) it was a taxi back to the hotel and off to bed, even earlier than usual.
    Brilliant day and all thanks to Aiman for taking the time out to show us around.
    Read more