Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Corfu, Greece

    September 3, 2016 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    This is the one Greek island 🇬🇷 that I had visited before, but it was 30 years ago and I only visited Corfu Town where we are now docked on a day trip from the town of Gouvia where our apartment was.
    So consequently I couldn’t remember anything about the town except for the cricket 🏏 pitch which is lined on one side by bars and open-air restaurants.
    We actually found the pitch and it was exactly like my memory of it.
    Just for future reference, the ship was charging $12 return for the shuttle in to the old town.
    Where as we took the local bus 🚌 which is right by the ship's shuttles, and this cost less than $4 return.
    In fact if you are feeling energetic the walk in to the town is only about 20 minutes.
    Once in the old town you are met with the typical small winding streets as in most towns in this part of the world.
    And again like all the places we've visited on this trip the town is interesting and quite beautiful in parts.
    Maybe not as stunning as Santorini, or as pretty as Mykonos, but in a more historic way still beautiful also a lot cheaper with a larger variety of shops than the other two islands.
    To round off the visit to Corfu perfectly, the hotel director Peter suggested we have lunch in a little local taverna that he knows right by the port.
    The meal was fabulous and completely authentic, with not one tourist to be seen.
    On top of that two local fishermen came into the restaurant to sell some of their catch to the owner, who then came out of the kitchen with two freshly caught fish, a grouper or a wild Sea bass both line caught about an hour earlier, we opted for the sea bass, which when served was amazing, as was the rest of the meal, which consisted of the most beautiful local produce perfectly cooked.
    Prawns cooked in a spicy tomato sauce, Greek salad, caviar taramala, fresh bread and calamari.
    Read more