Satellite
Show on map
  • North to Alaska - Travel Plans

    June 18, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    This is an overview of our travel plans to Alaska. As with all plans, they usually go sideways upon implementation. Please follow our adventures as they transpire real-time.

    We plan to depart Boise, Idaho on June 26, 2019 on the epic adventure to Alaska. After a quick overnight stay in Walla Walla, WA, we plan to cross the USA/Canada border at Osoyoos, BC in the beautiful Okanagan Region. Driving north on Hwy 97 to Prince George, BC. From Prince George, we travel west on the Yellowhead Highway (Hwy 16) towards the Pacific Ocean and Prince Rupert, BC. At Prince Rupert we have chartered a fishing boat and hope to enjoy a day of salmon and halibut fishing.

    From Prince Rupert, we drive north on the Cassiar Highway (Hwy 37) to Watson Lake, Yukon and join the Alaska Highway. We turn west and continue onto Whitehorse, Yukon and enter Alaska at Port Alcan (famous mile marker 1222). At Tok, AK, we turn south on Glenn Hwy (Hwy 1) to Anchorage.

    At Anchorage, we turn south on the Seward Highway and drive to Seward, AK. While in Seward, we plan to charter another fishing boat for more salmon and halibut. After Seward, we drive west on the Sterling Highway to Homer, AK. In Homer, we will be camping on the famous spit and enjoy another charter fishing adventure. We plan to stuff our freezer full of fish and ship the rest back home.

    After Homer, we plan to drive back to Anchorage and continue north on the Parks Highway (Hwy 3) through Denali National Park. After Denali National Park, we plan to drive north to Fairbanks. At Fairbanks, we plan to turn southeast toward the Delta Connection and back to Tok, AK and the Alaska Highway and to Dawson City, Yukon.

    From Dawson City, we plan to drop off the trailer and continue north to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway. After the Arctic Circle, we return to the Alaska Highway and drive south back to Prince George, BC.

    At Prince George, we will be turning left and drive down Highway 16 to Jasper, BC and Banff, BC. The final leg of our adventure will have us crossing the Canada/USA border at Kingsgate and driving over Idaho’s Highway 55 back to Boise, Idaho.

    Estimated Miles: 8,000
    Total Drive Time: 160 hours
    Total Days: 44 (6.2 weeks)
    Read more