Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 7 - Russell Falls & Mt Wellington

    February 19, 2023 in Australia

    This morning, we headed west for a drive through the Derwent Valley to Mt Field National Park and Russell Falls. This is an easy but beautiful drive along the river.

    Our first stop was the little Bushy Park Roadhouse, where we got a bite to eat. The place is surrounded by hops plantations which are about to be harvested. It's fascinating the way they grow on high trellises, something I haven't seen before.

    A little further out, we stopped at the Westerway Berry Farm and had a go at picking some berries. Unfortunately, most of the berries have finished their seasons, but we still managed to gather a selection of blackberries, strawberries and boysenberries.

    Russell Falls is beautiful, and the short, easy walk from the visitor centre is as impressive as the falls themselves. We spent a while just admiring the scenery and taking heaps of photos.

    We detoured to Mt Wellington on the way back to the hotel. The weather was brilliant so it was an opportunity not to be missed. It's about 10° cooler at the top and very windy, so out came the jackets for the first time. The view is spectacular and well worth the visit.
    Read more