Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Igauzu Falls: Part 2

    February 27, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    One day was simply not enough to really experience the majesty of Iguazu. Fortunately, we had planned on two days.

    In the hopes of catching some animals before the heat of the day drove them in to hiding, we decided to rise early and get to the part around opening time, at 8am. We immediately headed for the jungle trail, where we thought that our chances of seeing animals was greatest. When we arrived to the trail, it was closed. But, as being closed merely meant that a gate was lowered, we decided to sneak behind and sally forth. Frankly, it was all for naught. We walked about 2.5 miles in, but didn’t see a single animal — not a coati, monkey, or a toucan. After about an hour, we were hot and sweaty and discouraged, so we turned around and headed back.

    Our next stop was the upper trail and, of course, that was where we found the animals — monkeys, coatis, and even a toucan. Better late than never!!! Honestly, i could have watched the monkeys all day. Seeing them swing from tree to tree, scamper up and down, and then munch on shoots and leaves. Sublime. The toucan was quite beautiful. The coatis —- meh, reminded me of big raccoons, and they are super aggressive. When I stopped to have a snack, the sound of my opening a bag of nuts was sufficient to draw half a dozen coatis to me, and it was a bit frightening. I decided to take my bag and head in to the store for my snack.

    After having our fill of the animals, we continued to explore the falls. Each view was completely magnificent.

    After having our fill at the park, we headed back to the hotel for some time at the pool, with a tropical drink in hand. What a great way to end our second week of sabbatical.
    Read more