Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Street Food and Night Markets

    March 22, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Thailand is well-known for its street food, which can be purchased any time of the day. However, the largest and most elaborate selection of street food is at the night markets. I have no idea how many night markets there are in Chiang Mai, but it is quite a few. We decided to try our luck at the Night Bazaar, which is the largest night market and is known for both its shopping and its food.

    We arrived around 6:30, when the night market was just getting started. The Wararot Market is actually a series of markets, that are within walking distance from each other. Many, many tourists go to the night market to buy souvenirs. And, there is plenty to buy . . . Some handmade, and others mass produced. I bought a wrap to use when we go into temples, as I’m tired of pulling on/off a long skirt that is required for covering my knees, and it is way too hot to wear pants. Arie bought a bandana, because he’d lost his. Otherwise, we were not too good for the Thai economy.

    Of course, we had actually decided to go to the night market to eat, and we had repeatedly read that Thai residents go to the night market to grab dinner, and visit with friends. We were not disappointed. The selection of food is huge at the night market. And, the vendors range from those in large stalls which have printed menus, tables and chairs, to places with two people with a burner, who are selling a single type of item. We decided to sample food from both.

    We started with handmade gyoza, which we were able to watch being made while we waited — two men were filling and one guy was steaming and frying. They were so hot when we got them, that we had to wait for them to cool. So tasty. Next stop, little mangos, which are the size of a plum, and you eat peeled. They were a little tart and tangy, and we gobbled them up. We then tried crab in yellow curry at a more formal restaurant. Again, delicious. For our last stop, we had grilled shrimp (monster size) and the best mango and sticky-rice that I’ve ever eaten. (We seriously considered a second helping, but decided to restrain ourselves).
    Read more