Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90–91

    Rainy Days and Tessellated Ways

    April 2 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Languid sunshine streamed through the window, coaxing Anth out of bed for a slower start to the day. Sal's legendary pancakes, a treat for the whole crew, fueled our leisurely morning, punctuated only by the essential cup (or two) of coffee.

    Southward we rumbled, with the promise of Cockle Creek dangling on the horizon for our arrival in a couple of days. Dunalley, nestled amidst the Tasmanian forests we adore exploring via dirt detours, beckoned as the perfect stopover for the night.

    The drive was a breeze, and soon we found ourselves pulling into our campsite for the night – a pair of sprawling paddocks bordering the Dunalley Inn. With the Easter crowds a distant memory, we had ample space to explore. Local gems called to us, and first on the agenda was the Tessellated Pavement. Millions of years in the making, this incredible rock formation unfolded before us, its geometric patterns a mesmerising pavement for the ocean's ceaseless dance. Squares of "pans and loaves," as they're called, crafted a captivating floor at the cliff's edge.

    History whispered its secrets next. The Officers Quarters Museum and the Dog Line at Eaglehawk Neck offered a fascinating glimpse into the past. This narrow 30-meter strip of land played a pivotal role during Port Arthur's penitentiary days. Back then, ferocious dogs guarded this escape route, a fact emphasised by the rather intimidating statue of a guard dog.

    Despite our best efforts with umbrellas and raincoats, the day turned into a wet one. But a little rain wouldn't dampen our adventurous spirits! This ancient land, steeped in history, was captivating nonetheless.

    Seeking refuge, we retreated to the cozy confines of the Dunalley pub. Hot drinks in hand, we dried off and warmed up, plotting our next move. Cockle Creek, with the rain and extended drive, would have to wait for another day. Instead, we opted for a westward shift, setting our sights on Strahan, a jewel on Tasmania's wild west coast.
    Read more