Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Camino Day 5: Puente la Reina to Lorca

    August 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Total Distance: 15.6km
    Step Count: 24k
    Blisters to date: 1
    Tortillas to date: 3

    Australia was playing today so I planned a short day to watch the game (we lost 😞).

    Going to Lorca the scenery along the Camino started to change into expansive plains. I walked alone for the first time today and it was quite beautiful leaving Puente La Reina at dawn. When I got to my Albergue, I was the only one there. However, as the day passed, more and more people started to arrive and everyone signed up for the communal dinner.

    Our hospitalero was so kind and generous. Washed everyone’s clothes for free and went above and beyond with everything. The food and the people made for a very memorable night as dinners up until this day had been quite average (maybe something about staying in small villages as opposed to the bigger stops).

    My friends Josh and Adam had popped by to say bye on their way to Estella but it was so hot they decided to stay too. There were also 2 lovely Spanish women who had met on their first day and decided to walk together to Logroño where they where both going to finish. They had the most amazing energy and we became friends instantly!

    Everyone was so touched by the hospitality in the Albergue de Lorca that we made José Ramón (the owner) a beautiful thank you card and off to sleep for a very early start the next day to try and beat the heat.
    Read more