Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 192

    The Water Clock of Villa Borghese

    November 21, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    In the heart of Villa Borghese, a forgotten time traveler lurks, shrouded in the wild embrace of nature. Behold the water clock—an unsung hero in Rome's iconic green oasis.

    Tucked away along Viale dell’Orologio, this clock is no walk in the park to find, hidden amidst the unruly foliage. Venture not far from Pincio's stunning viewpoint, and you'll discover it—this aquatic maestro, residing on an islet, guarded by a turret.

    Abandoned to the passage of time, last summer saw the resurrection of this hydro-chronometer, a brainchild of Giovanni Battista Embriaco, a Dominican friar with a penchant for temporal theatrics. Picture this: Paris, 1867, Universal Exposition—our clock was the belle of the ball, but stage fright kept it snug in its packaging, a historical diva avoiding a grand debut.

    Water, the maestro's conductor, sets the pendulum in motion, orchestrating a liquid ballet that paints the canvas of time. A bell, swayed by the rhythmic dance of water, adds a dramatic crescendo to this chronometric spectacle. This isn't just any clock; it's a solo act in Italy's public park scene, a rebel in the realm of hydro-chronometers.

    But wait, there's more! Beyond its engineering prowess, this timepiece is bedecked with artistic flourishes, a true masterpiece reborn after years of obscurity. The ELIS Center's Vocational Training School took on the role of time's savior, conducting a restoration that brought this aquatic virtuoso back from the brink.

    So, next time you find yourself strolling through Villa Borghese, spare a thought for this enigmatic water clock—more than a timekeeper, it's a symphony of history, engineering, and the resilient spirit of a forgotten celebrity of yesteryear.
    Read more