Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Savuti is not in Norway

    February 21, 2020 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Puh, so, Chi-Cha-Chobe? The internet is full of people getting stuck in the deep sand tracks. I really don't know how they manage to do that. Probably they always forget to engage 4x4 in their Hiluxes (defaults to rear wheel drive).

    On entering of the park we got warned not to use the marshland route because of tricky mud after all these rains. That's more of a challenge. Some 30 minutes later we meet Bent Ove from Norway, just coming from ... the marsh. He got stuck with his Defender three times within two days and had to camp in the mud. Nobody warned him before taking this track :-D He is totally excited to meet humans and we enjoy his adventurous stories. Hyenas!

    And indeed, this very night at Savuti campsite (we arrive in the dark) one of our heavy boxes gets overthrown by a Hyena, just next to my car! But they are very shy and quickly disappear when I want to get out to exchange some cuddles :-( Huge they are!

    The next day we scavenge around the area, climb stony hills, find ancient rock paintings, lick some Nutella and our Rheinländer begin with their carnival.
    Read more