Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Portland and Falmouth Foreside

    August 9, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    In Portland we stayed in a slip at a marina which was right next to the old part of the city. We walked around (looking for cool places— did you know not very much of Portland has a/c?!?!), and visited Hamilton’s Marine, the “largest marine store north of Boston!!” as well as Chase, Leavitt & Co., to see their collection of charts. We went to Vena’s Fizz House, a cocktail bar which specializes in drinks made with various flavors of bitters (violet, rosemary, pine, bergamot, and about a hundred others). We also went to the North Point, a bar where Collin’s friend Hannah works (just to say hi). It seems like a great, creative, vibrant city, and we are looking forward to returning on our way back.
    This morning we left P’land and motored a short way to beautiful Diamond Cove (where David swam to shore and back), had lunch, and then headed over to Falmouth, where we are staying for at least 2 nights, and, depending on the rainstorms predicted this weekend, possibly 3. We are hoping for some nice breezes tomorrow so we can sail and explore one or two islands nearby.
    Tonight, after a brief rain, we had the fortune to see the end of a sailing race followed by a rainbow. It is just incredibly beautiful here. We feel lucky and blessed.

    We love hearing from all of you, and hope you are all doing well.
    Read more