Satellite
Show on map
  • Grilling: Pros and Cons

    July 19, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    This grill looks so unassuming, doesn’t it? It’s cute, kind of friendly? Who would think that it actually has an evil side?

    Well, we didn’t see it. Oh, sure, David would occasionally mention that he thought it “slipped” a little, but really, it was fine, he probably just imagined it. After a couple of years, it sort of became a part of our boat family.

    Tonight David was using it to grill burgers. We were looking forward to them, as well as to the toasted buns and the grilled onions. Only two burgers and the onions and most of the buns were left to finish. I was coming up the companionway and saw David’s back, then the grill, to his right. And watched as the grill did a quick backwards sommersault , dropping everything over the stern of the boat. 😬

    We were sure half of our dinner had gone overboard, as well as all the grilled onions and luckily we had enough (untoasted) buns left. I told David to leave the grill, forget the food, and we would just eat what we had rescued.

    David noticed that one of the toasted buns had landed on the short shelf at the stern of the boat, kind of on top of some of the onions (boy, was it a mess!!) and told me to get the bun (which I thought was ridiculous but was trying to humor him in his panic) so I did (and put it on his plate, of course 🤫)He righted the grill (and I reminded him to TURN THE GRILL OFF before he kept fooling with it and burning himself) and started looking inside, and found the last two burgers and a bunch of the onions under the heat shield of the grill!! Truly a miracle, or, as we tend to call it, another example of the Wilkinson luck!!

    So now we know the grill’s true colors. We are considering its fate.

    And after dinner we enjoyed a lovely evening topside.
    Read more