Satellite
Show on map
  • Onset Harbor

    July 20, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    We arrived in this pretty Harbor around 2 pm, after a rough 2 hours of sailing that felt like about 6 hours! Winds started at about 5k, then within an hour rose to 23-24k. Seas were about 1 ‘, but by the the time we headed to Onset the seas were up to 4-5’. It was an exciting day! Our speed was up to 9k, which is only because we were trying to slow down! It was pretty rocky and we were heeling quite a bit.

    A little before 1:00 we decided to head towards Onset, because the wind was continuing to rise (and 13 knots is about my limit). Soon after, fog started setting in and our visibility decreased rapidly. So it seemed like our decision to head in early was the right one.

    Once we arrived, we realized the fog was all around Onset but not in the harbor! A little island of sunshine. We went into town soon after we arrived. It’s a pretty, unpretentious town with lots of beaches. We needed more water, picked up a seafood dinner, and headed back to the boat before launch service stops at 5:30. Now we are just enjoying another beautiful evening with a nice breeze. It hit around 81 degrees today, with high humidity, but now the air is getting drier. Collin and Artemis are hoping to row over to Wicket Isl, about 50 feet away.

    We will leave tomorrow at 0830 to get into the canal before the tide shift makes it impossible to get through. Powerful boats don’t have to worry, but sailboats typically have engines that can’t match the 4-5 knot current we would have to motor against.
    Read more