Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    The volcanos

    February 10, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    We visited the volcano national park to see the results of 70 million years of volcanism.

    Volcanoes created the Hawaiian island chain and Kīlauea and Mauna Loa are two of the worlds most active volcanoes still adding land to the big island of Hawaii, unfortunately for us there is no lava flowing anywhere in Hawaii for us to see at the moment

    First we walked the sulphur banks trail past the steam vents to the crater rim trail to view Kīlauea caldera. Then hiked the Kīlauea iki trail which took us through the base of the Crater. Unfortunately the heavens opened throughout the hike and we were soaked to the skin. Despite the weather we still completed the trail in record time -1hr 20 mins, apparently beating the Swiss with all their alpine climbing experience.

    Unfortunately wikiloc didn’t record the elevation on return but here is the link
    https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/sotr-kila… (SOTR- Kīlauea Iki trail)

    The weather didn’t stop us heading over to the devastation trail to view Kīlauea caldera from the other side. years of volcanism.

    Volcanoes created the Hawaiian island chain and Kīlauea and Mauna Loa are two of the worlds most active volcanoes still adding land to the big island of Hawaii.

    First we walked the sulphur banks trail past the steam vents to the crater rim trail to view Kīlauea caldera. Then hiked the Kīlauea iki trail which took us through the base of the Crater. Unfortunately the heavens opened throughout the hike and we were soaked to the skin.

    But that didn’t stop us heading over to the detestation trail to view Kīlauea caldera from the other side.
    Read more