Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Leaving home…

    December 30, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 57 °F

    For those of you who don’t know, we’ve decided to make a massive change in our family life that starts tomorrow!

    After a very rough year with losing both our moms 6 weeks apart, we just wanted to do something different together. So I quit my job. We bought travel backpacks. We pulled the kids out of school. And tomorrow we leave on a 6 month round-the-world trip…together.

    We’ll spend New Years in Costa Rica, then move on to Ecuador (after changing plans from Peru due to civil unrest), exotic Los Angeles (for a quick stop to visit family and friends), Australia, Thailand, Nepal, South Africa, Egypt, Morocco, and overland through Europe until we head home mid-June.

    So as we quickly wrap up packing our small-but-what-on-earth-did-we-put-in-here-heavy(?!!!) bags - we are numb, excited, sad, questioning our decisions, and yet also realizing it is so right for us. We’ll miss our dogs. We’ll miss our friends. We’ll miss our home. But we want the kids to understand that life has so much more beauty than what we’ve all experienced - between Covid and losing our cherished loved ones.

    So come along for this journey with us as we explore the world together! It should be fun - Brian’s camera bag literally weighs more than his ginormous travel backpack - so there’s that! I anticipate there should be some amazing pictures/videos being created in the coming months!

    Here’s to new experiences, the unknown and unexpected, and a very happy 2023 for everyone.

    We fly from DC to Costa Rica tomorrow and should be at the base of arenal volcano by New Years!

    Let the trip begin! You’ll hear from us soon! ❤️

    Love,
    Heather, Brian, maddie and Katie
    Read more