Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Baños de Aqua Santa

    January 21, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 55 °F

    We are currently in a smaller Ecuadorian town called Baños de Aqua Santa, in a valley surrounded by lush green mountains and volcanoes (dormant fortunately!). It’s beautiful here and the people have been extremely kind and genuine.

    We’ve loved it here! Our hotel is awesome, food outstanding (anyone want a tomahawk steak? Arepas? Empanadas with chocolate and banana? 🥰) and we have all stepped out of our comfort zones!! We have been so impressed with all the new activities and foods the girls are trying.

    In the last two days, we have gone to a local thermal bath/pool house. The girls jumped right in and had a blast. We’ve gone on two very small but extremely high up cable cars across a very wide and deep valley with a river very far below us. They rocked it. We went right next to an enormous waterfall. They then proceeded to do the “flight of the condor” - where we strapped into a secure swing and we got launched off a ramp that swung over the edge of a cliff!! Have I mentioned the rivers and valleys way below us? The girls and I went on “The Beauty” which forced me to hold in a few choice words. I thought it felt huge. However, Brian, chose “The Beast” which was much bigger. He didn’t hold in his choice words🤣! So much fun!

    I wouldn’t be surprised if Maddie wants to move up to the “Beast” soon. You can hear her in the video scream “This is awesome!” ❤️

    Today we are taking it easy. Katie has yet another cold. We also have the girls math tutor, Alex, today via zoom. Worldschooling has been an interesting and challenging yet rewarding experience so far. The girls are learning so much about these various cultures. I’m still scrambling trying to figure how to help them learn without using up an entire travel pack for all their school supplies.

    We are currently packing, getting ready to head to Cuenca tomorrow, where we’ll be staying for a week. It’s a colonial town about 7 hours south of here and is supposed to be a great place to stay awhile and also explore! I’m planning on taking the girls to get a traditional spiritual cleansing with egg (!) at a local market in Cuenca. Should be exciting!

    Hope you are all having a great weekend!
    Read more