Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    Marrakech- Time to Say Goodbye

    April 23, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    Brian and I have always wanted to come to Morocco - and Brian in particular has always wanted to go to the Sahara - so we’re bummed about him heading home a bit early and missing the desert portion of Morocco - that said it’s been an AMAZING trip together and it’s time to start preparing to come home.

    We all spent 3 days all together in Casablanca and Marrakech before Brian headed home (via Istanbul) and us girls headed to the Sahara. Brian got to see the outside of Ricks Cafe, homage to one of his favorite movies Casablanca. We got to watch sunrise from the rooftop of our riad together, having Moroccan mint tea tour and watching things come to life in the old Medina. We also got explore some Berber villages with the girls before taking Brian to the airport and say goodbye for the next month. It’s a strange thing to have literally been staying in the same room or being side by side 24/7 for 4 months and then to part ways - will take some adjusting for sure.

    If you were to ask the girls their favorite part of Marrakech - they would say the cats. Oh the cats! On the small walkway to our riad/hotel, 3 separate cats gave birth in a 24 hour period. While the cats are feral, many people make an effort to care for them so the cats are quite friendly! We saw lots of little kittens and cats kept trying to get the kids’ attention.

    If you were to ask me my favorite part- it’s the winding pathways along ochre colored walls, colorful clothing the Muslim and Berber women wear, along with the all of the beautifully decorated mosques and frequent prayers over the loudspeakers. It’s the sunrise from the rooftop of our riad. It’s been watching the kids connect with the animals.. Another lovely jolt to the senses…

    ————-
    As I write this, Brian has just made it home safely — and is girls are currently in Fes, just having finished our time in the Sahara.

    We’ll be touring the city tomorrow and then have one more night before we head to Western Europe. Venice—Munich—Paris—Barcelona. Some flights - lots of train time and then will be time to come home.

    Ill do another post at the end of Morocco - pics here will reflect time in Marrakech and maybe a teaser from the Sahara 🙂

    Hope you are all well - lots of love to all of you. ❤️
    Read more