Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 137

    German Strikes and Schnitzel!

    May 15, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    It’s our last day in Munich, Germany! It has been one of the girls favorite places! I’ve enjoyed it but it’s been in the 40-50s and rainy half of the time - so I’m surprised!

    We’ve walked a ton around the capital of Bavaria, learned to navigate the UBahn metro with decent competence (went the wrong way once yesterday but that’s part of the adventure right?), and felt like we experienced a bit what it would be to live here!

    Maddie loved: “the metro, the food, and just the feel of the town!”
    Katie loved: “this small town and the ice cream we had last night” (although the 3rd biggest city in Germany, Munich city center doesn’t feel like a huge city so I would agree with the sentiment!)

    We’ve seen:
    - a lot of underground Ubahn trains
    -surfers riding big waves on the river at the English Garden
    - local markets near the Marienplatz
    - two castles of the “mad king” Ludwig and the German countryside
    - the newest Guardians of the Galaxy in English at a local movie theater (it was much better than expected!)
    - a naked man at a local park (apparently a common site here based on our research!)
    - Maddie finally getting to do a few German lessons! Still loves it!

    We’ve tried:
    - schnitzel
    - bratwurst
    - the “famous boiled white wiener”- which had all of us in stitches. (Not very good)
    - the most atrociously drool inducing sour gum I have ever tried (we had a competition to see who would survive! Katie won the very time!)
    - after eights gelato (which may even beat out the outstanding gelato in Venice)!!

    So it’s been fun!

    We were supposed to go via train (eurail pass) to Paris tomorrow morning but train and transportation related strikes in Germany resulted in our train being cancelled. Super bummed and it’s required a huge amount of alternative planning. To top off the fun, the Airbnb I booked in Paris (the ONLY part of this last leg of the trip I booked in 2022!) cancelled yesterday!! Is the universe trying to tell me something??

    Due to all that, we’ll be flying to Paris tomorrow (hello - new claim to our travel insurance company!), spend just a couple days in Paris and then we are going to hop on 2 trains to get to a small town called Cassis, in the south of France. I’ve never been So I’m excited! We’ll be there 2-3 days and then head to Barcelona..

    At this point I’m hoping for the best but expecting more hiccups along the way!

    Hope all the mamas had a beautiful Mamas day! ❤️ We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy and made sure to get back before the strikes began so we weren’t stranded!
    Read more