Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo

    February 19, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    We caught the Narita Express (NEX) to Shinjuku Station (about 1.5 hours). The Narita Express is operated by JR East Rail Company so we were able to use our newly acquired JR East Pass which allows us to travel on any JR East operated train for any 5 days during a 14 day period. We were able to order our passes through the JR East website prior to coming to Japan and we collected them from the JR East Customer Service Centre located near the train station at the airport.

    Following the train trip we had about 15-20 minute walk to our hotel which we managed to find without any hassle which was an achievement considering we didn't have a map or phone reception.

    Shinjuku is the busiest train station in the world with an estimated 3.6 million people using it per day. We had to exit the East Gate to get to our hotel which we found without hassle. However we did have some difficulty actually finding out how to get out of the station building proper. We almost ended up walking back through the gates to the main concourse area.

    Once up on street level we were greeted with thousands of people, dazzling lights and lots of noise. We managed to navigate our way through the crowds to get to our hotel.

    It was about 10° in Tokyo when we got out which made for a chilly walk. It was a relief to get to our hotel. Once at our hotel we dropped our bags off and took a 500m walk to Mos Burger for dinner.
    Read more