Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Yogya Day 3

    July 4, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    I had a horrific night sleep as I was really feverish but we got up bright and early ready for our 9am tour around Kotagede. We were a bit slow moving when getting ready so we didn't have time to have breakfast. Luckily the first stop on the tour was a market and our tour guide Dini was always happy to help us have tasters! We tried an odd looking fruit called Salak aka Snake fruit. Will said it tasted like a not so tasty pineapple. Then we tried a herbal drink that is supposed to be good for cleansing and a second one for slimming. The first one was basically like drinking a bowl of turmeric and the second one was I don't know what but it was incredibly bitter. If that is what you have to drink to be slim, I think I'm OK!!

    Dini told us about the history of Kota Gede. Kota Gede is known as the silver village and it is famous for its old buildings and Instagram photo opps! It was quite a cute village with many alley ways and it felt very much like a maze. We stopped at the Monggo Chocolate factory for a taster and then headed over to see the oldest Mosque in Yogya and the Royal graveyard, visited and went in some old traditional houses and tried Kipo and Peanut Bread which Dini had bought for us to try. Upon our return to the market we tried Cilok which is a molten ball of rice flour doused in "ketchup" and chilli. After saying adieu to Dini we shared an ayam geprek and it was pretty spicy! It was about 12pm and to be honest we done and seen most of the things we wanted to so we headed to El tempo Del Gelato. We picked a small tub of chilli chocolate and raspberry. It was super yummy! Having not had enough ice cream we then headed to have Rujak Es which is... And then for a coffee. I don't the waiter saw us when we came in, he was fully engrossed on his phone watching the football. We peered next to him and he jumped out of his skin bless him. I chose Kopi Mangaa and it was lush!!!! Pretty sure it was literally mango juice with coffee. YUM! I don't think they had ever had a tourist in there small cafe so they obviously wanted pictures of us of which is probably on their Instagram now hehe. After chilling, writing the blog and reading some more we moved on back to the park where we saw the Macaus yesterday. We sat on a wall and watched the magnificent birds take flight again and sat and chatted until sunset. Finally we finished the day eating Angkrikan for dinner, visiting Moliboro Street for some souvenirs and then heading back to the homestay.

    The evenings sleep was truly horrific. The whole area had a power cut and it was unbelievably hot without a fan. Nothing we could do though apart from not move and use energy!
    Read more