Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    India... First Stop Kochi!

    November 19, 2018 in India ⋅ 🌧 31 °C

    The moment I have been waiting for a long time, travelling India. We have been granted a 2 month visa which still won't be enough for this enormous country but I am very excited,nervous, but excited. The main aim of the trip is to visit my dad's old friends in Mumbai and to hear stories from his school days. Flights to Mumbai were very expensive, so we are flying to Kochi in Kerala, the South, and we will slowly make our way up aiming for Mumbai around Christmas time.

    Although we have taken quite a few flights this time round we really hate the impact it has on the environment and therefore avoid it where we can. Unfortunately today we have to take a very inefficient flight from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur where we then change for our flight . Its only an hour and we were hoping to get a bus instead but the buses would not get us there in time. Feeling very guilty for this short trip we got up at 5:30am, packed and jumped into a Grab to the airport where we had our final sachets of porridge and a coffee.

    The flight was easy as assumed and we were soon in KL airport drinking coffee and then eating lunch in the shopping centre at arrivals. We then began the dreaded procedure of checking in and going through security. We are flying with Air Asia to Kochi and at this particular terminal they are crazy for checks. They weighed all hand luggage (7kg), they sized up all hand luggage and you have to go through security at the beginning and before boarding the flight. We got our bags down to 6kg and pulled all straps to make them look as small as possible and luckily we were fine but I had stuffed 3kg worth of items around my body to get it all through! After an hour of waiting at immigration and document check area we had a well deserved sit down. I must admit reading Jurassic Park is helping me keep sane through these enormous waiting times.

    We had a very late lunch and then headed to our gate for boarding. Will was the only whiteguy in the waiting area! The flight was pretty average again and I finish Jurassic Park, I would definitely recommend it.

    When we arrived Will got through immigration with no questions asked, whereas I got all the questions. Gosh I hate flying... We were soon in a taxi and on our way to our homestay.

    When we arrived Juliet and her husband were really welcoming, but to be honest we were so tired we went straight to bed.
    Read more