Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    We saw snow!!! Very far away...

    December 15, 2018 in India ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    After yesterday's day of fun scootering, walking and birdwatching we decided to go out and do it all again this time south towards Rajali National Park.

    First stop, the most important meal of the day, breakfast. Today we had Masala Dosa, a dish that has never disappointed. How can you go wrong with a crispy pancake stuffed with Masala potatoes and doused in dhaal and coconut chutney? You just can't. Well actually I lie, I had a made up version of it once in Manchester and left utterly upset.

    After breakfast we headed along the Ganges on maps.me there was a skull and crossbones icon so we drove there first as I was just intrigued. I'm not sure what it was supposed to symbolise but it was not very deathly... In fact it was just a flat path surrounded in trees with birds. So we sat and attempted to bird watch. With a combination of the rays from the sun and the forever fluttering birds it was very very difficult to spot them. We eventually saw various bulbuls and the very impressive Black hooded oriole. We then carried on to a dam and ended up going over a super sketchy... I don't know what it was to be honest but I've put a picture on the blog...

    We then set off further not before long we were in the forest and after a while we started heading up the mountain edge. The gravel road was pretty rough going to be honest and we had a couple of hairy moments but Will is a pretty good driver now and has perfect control over the bike. Soon we are at the top and wow what a site! It was soo gorgeous! Although we were currently based at the bottom of the Himalayas there isn't snow where we are, but in the distance we could see the magical mountains of snow!! We were so excited!!!

    Along the driver back we saw male peacocks and Himalayan Goldenback which was a great spot on the moving bike if I do say so myself.

    For dinner we went and had Baijan Masala, Veg Masala and Matar Mushroom with chapattis. We ate like Kings! Then as we didn't have lunch we decided to have a cheeky look at puddings in a posh cafe. We had two amazing cakes for £1.90. Splashy!

    Well the day has come, it's time to leave Rishikesh... Although I cannot wait to get some heat inside me and not have a constant head ache and sore hands from the cold I am going to miss this peaceful and beautiful town.

    Now we don't really know what our plan is tomorrow... All we know is that we need to be in Dehli on the 17th at 4pm to catch our train to Mumbai. If we take the bus as we did to get here it will take forever so we are going to wake up in the morning and hope we can get a train for the 17th, but they only sell the tickets the day before so we need to be on it! If we get the ticket we will either get the train on the morning of the 17th or the evening of the 16th or end up getting a bus tomorrow. So who knows what tomorrow will bring. Either way I know I want one last aloo paratha, a chai and then a coffee in our lovely cafe with a view 😊

    Speak to you tomorrow!!
    Read more