Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Langkloof - the story

    September 5, 2016 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    After very little sleep, we got up to huge cloud banks and even a couple of drops of rain....

    While having breakfast, a bakkie came ambling along. What we thought were the next campers, turned out to be the grandson and nephew of the man who had owned built the original farmhouse which now stands in tatters next to the new kitchen and bathroom.

    Johann, introduced himself to us and over a cup of coffee told us the story of Langkloof farm.

    The old farmhouse to the left of our campsite, was originally owned by his grandparents, and the house where we camped belonged to his uncle who lived there until about 20 years ago. They were sheep farmers who lived in the area for many years.

    He told us stories of how they as kids used to slide down the rocks on pieces of "Botterboon" trees, much to the horror of their parents as the these trees left a nasty red residue which wasn't easy to remove from their clothes! They also used to walk up into the kloof to hunt, taking no water along in temperatures often in excess of 40 degrees! When they returned, and reached the river, they simply swept away the frog slime from the top of the water and drank deeply to rehydrate! Crazy ...

    He also told us how some of his uncle's Boerbokke roamed into the kloof opposite the farm and bred there. They became totally wild, were extremely hardly and rather aggressive.

    About 2km from our campsite are the remnants of his grandparent's farm. The windmill still turns, bringing precious water to the water basin, once used my their livestock, now only used by the birds and I guess occasionally by some of the game in the area. Under a couple of Bluegum trees are 3 graves which belong to some of his relatives.

    All in all, an interesting morning.
    Read more