Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Logistics..San Sebastián, Spain

    September 1, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    Today started out with a list of things to do. Find Holly was first on the list 😆 Long story, I won’t get into it, but if you ever go to the Madrid airport, don’t underestimate it!! I’ll just say, she missed the flight, and we were separated.
    We both mailed our luggage in separate cities this morning and because the P.O. didn’t open until later, there was no way I’d make it to San Sebastián at a decent hour so I taxi’d to meet Holly, who ended up in San Sebastián. Nathalie left from our room at 7:30 and walked the city (Irun) for an hour trying to find the yellow arrows to lead her out of town. Crazy. This is the Camino Freaking Norte. Paint some yellow arrows please. She walked 38 Km to San Sebastián today-my guide book says it is 26km. Her Garmin watch 38km. Tricksters. That’s super hard. She was tired, but totally enjoyed the views and met people that we will probably bump into all the way to Santiago. Holly and I sat at a beach bar and drank a couple sangria’s before going back to our shared Hostal-just us 3 in a room which is nice. Once Nathalie arrived at the Hostal we all did our laundry and then walked down to the historic center of the city to enjoy delicious pinxtos (we are in Pays Basque so they aren’t called Tapas here) The streets were lively, full of families, lovers, and friends, of all ages. So amazing. Moms and daughters walking arm and arm, the elderly out for a date night in their Sunday best. Here, I don’t think people get babysitters. If the parents are out, they are pushing strollers and kids are playing everywhere while the adults sip wine, eat, and talk. It astounds me how people aren’t concerned about kids getting kidnapped. They are playing in the center and parents don’t even look up to keep an eye on them. They trust. They feel safe.
    Tomorrow there is a severe weather warning/flash floods. Today was hot and not a sign of such weather. We will see.
    Read more