Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Wednesday!

    August 17, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Another day, another immense amount of walking around.

    Tessa had us booked in for breakfast at the restaurant cafe on top of the Reichstag for the morning so we took the opportunity to have a nice walk from the Brandenburg Gate. We had a look at some of the remaining sections (or replaced sections) of the Berlin Wall and walked through the Holocaust memorial.

    Breakfast at the Reichstag was lovely, with some sausages, pretezels and beer on the menu for me and a three egg omelette for Tessa. We walked up the glass dome for a lovely view of Berlin.

    Next stop was the German Museum of Technology which we rushed around in about 45 minutes but we could have spent hours there. Ships, aeroplanes, trains, windmills, it had it all.

    After catching up for lunch with a friend [*TESSA* a great old friend and housemate, Elise who is living an enviable cool life in Berlin and who we get to see again before we go], we made our way to the Jewish Museum (and thereby getting full value for our Museum Pass which provides free entry for various museums in Berlin) which details the history of the Jews in Germany.

    We wandered the streets for a while, slowing at the kitsch and overcrowded Checkpoint Charlie and generally taking in the atmosphere while avoiding being skittled by the thousands of bike users in Berlin and finished the day with a world-famous curry wurst (basically a sausage cut up, doused in ketchup and curry powder). Was pretty good actually!
    Read more