Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Munich - Tuesday

    August 23, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Big day! First we hit Schloss Nymphenberg which was the summer palace for the former ruling Bavarian family, the Wittelsbachs. The whole palace complex and the rooms inside are just gorgeous. One of the rulers even had a room of beauties. He had appointed an artist to paint all the most beautiful women of Munich. Tessa loved the insight into women's fashion and styling of the time, albeit uneasy about objectification. Here are our two favourites of the room (Tessa's is the one with the cool hat).

    The grounds of the palace were massive. There were little ornate buildings for hanging out nearer the main lake and one with a bathing pool. There was also a museum for royal carriages and sleighs in the old stables. Tessa couldn't believe that actual royal carriages were even fancier than the ones in Disney cartoons.

    Afterwards we wandered over to a very large beer garden that served very large beers. The place was nice apart from a very grumpy German woman who was extremely unpleasant to Tessa when she tried to order some food, because Tessa had only limited German. That didn't stop us getting drunk and buying ourselves some lederhosen and a dirndl. No, there are no photos of us wearing these but we are planning to attend an Oktoberfest event when we return to Melbourne so stay tuned!

    Because we are tourists, we had to have at least one drink at the Hofbräuhaus (I was still drunk so I had to buy an overpriced stein too). From there we went to the Haxnbauer for some pork knuckle which was delicious. Then we went home and collapsed.
    Read more