Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Moscow - Monday

    September 5, 2016 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    (*TESSA*) Buffet breakfast again to start the day, and this time I got right into the chicken nuggets.
    As a group, we visited the Kremlin. It's home to three cathedrals: one built for funerals of the royal family, another for baptisms and marriages, and another for coronations. Presidents of Russia still use the Cathedral Square to swear in to the post.
    Russian Orthodox cathedrals differ from Catholic in that there is no stained glass used. Paintings decorate the inside of all the walls and ceilings. The alter is entered only by priests. Women cover their hair when the enter. I find these old, old cathedrals very moving and said a thank you for the fact that the Soviets didn't damage these ones.
    Still as a group we visited the armory museum. Catherine the Great has always captured my attention. She participated in a conspiracy to dethrone her husband (he was assassinated) to take power. She communicated with philosophers such as Voltaire, had lovers and toy boys and began the Hermitage Museum. As well as armor, carriages and all that jazz, we saw the dresses Catherine the Great was confirmed in, married in, and then a dress from later life. Her portrait, as we are familiar with it, shows a grand women of some age and waist line. But she was so tiny as a girl, and as a bride, and judging by the dress not much bigger than me in later life, if at all. No photos allowed in the Armory Museum.
    We are getting along well with the other tour members. We're sharing our transport and daily tours with one retired couple from Scotland and a single guy, Andy, from England. After our tour we shared long, late lunch with Andy and caught up on life stories. A lovely guy.
    At night we all boarded an overnight train for Veliky Novgorod. Sheldon and I were in a four berth cabin - I got the top bunk! It was hot, the toilet was primitive and the train rattling.
    Read more