Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Thai Park

    July 16, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We woke up pretty late on Saturday, just in time to make our way to Thai Park via subway for an early lunch. When researching things to do in Berlin, I googled to find out if there is a Chinatown in Berlin as I like to see how Asian immigrants live. To my surprise, I discovered that there isn't a Chinatown in Berlin - maybe it is testament to how well integration take place? Regardless, what I did find were several articles about how the Thai community congregated in Preussian Park on weekends to share food, and how locals started asking the Thais to sell food to them. The authorities tried to regulate the stalls. If you know Thailand like I do, you know how futile that is.

    At Preussian Park, Jeff and I wandered around for a bit before deciding on appetizers. Jeff opted for tofu satay while I went to a woman Jeff labeled "Thai Eartha Kitt" for haw mok (steamed fish curry in a small banana leaf cup) and thawd man pla (fried fish cakes). Thai Eartha Kitt missed a beat when I spoke to her in Thai; I guess she expected me to speak in German. I found out she was from Bangkok, while her fellow stallholder was from Rayong. The wannabe journalist in me wanted to find out more about their journeys to Berlin and how they have integrated. Thai Eartha Kitt's steamed fish curry was good but her fried fish cake missed the mark. Next up, I salivated at bamee moo dang (egg noodles with barbequed pork). I'm not much of a meat eater, and during my most recent trip to Bangkok I resisted eating this treat even though it was everywhere on the streets of Bangkok. This time round, I really wanted to eat this dish and it really hit the mark - the broth was spot on. Jeff ate vegetarian pad thai. After this, it was dessert time - we had kluei khaek (banana fritters) and khao niao ma muang (mango with sticky rice), and then we topped it off with ice cream and coffee.

    https://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Germany/blog-…
    Read more