Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    A desertlike experience

    November 15, 2017 in Azerbaijan ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    The hospitality continued by giving us more fruits and sweets and inviting us into a tea house. People even left no stones unturned to help us: A hotel owner himself runs off to buy a new battery, a computer expert is called to print a form (finally, Hauke ends up in his office and shows him how to print) and a reception lady puts perfume on Hauke at breakfast. Did he smell so bad? :)

    As the weather became pretty good again, we remembered ourselves why we had chosen the hilly, northern road through Azerbaijan. The landscape fascinated us while it changed from colorful forests to bleak but light green and suddenly we found ourselves within an arid environment which felt like a desert. To be correct, this area, in which the metropolis Baku is located as well, is a semidesert because it has slightly more vegetation than a desert.

    Not only the landscape, but also the road itself with its serpentines is remarkable. We don't remember how many times we climbed up to 900m and quickly dropped to 400m again.

    The acquaintance with the three speechless companions rounded out our first desertlike experience :)
    Read more