Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 229–232

    Moonta

    31 décembre 2023, Australie ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    We are currently travelling down the Yorke Peninsula. For some reason, we have bypassed it on past trips.

    We really enjoyed our stay at Moonta (know as Little Cornwell.) After all the Cornish miners bought out to mine copper here). Stayed at the RV site. Was packed out over the New Year. It is a very popular tourist spot.

    NYE was spent at Wallaroo (photo 1,2 &3), about 20 minutes from Moonta. Another very nice town. They had the copper smelters here. The chimney in photo is the only one left. Enjoyed the early fireworks. First time in years, we have done something for NYE.

    Went down to the waterfront early NYD for a swim. We had driven down yesterday afternoon. The whole area was packed out. So went home. Much nicer this morning. Enjoyed a walk on the jetty and a refreshing swim. Paid to go down before breakfast. The crowds where rolling in as we were leaving. Also visited the jetty at Port Hughes in the afternoon. A two jetty day 😄.

    The next day, we did the mine train tour. Luckily, we had booked for the first run of the day. Turned out a stinker. The train tour was great. We learnt about the copper mining in the area. The stunning stone building in the last photo was the school for the miners' children. The 10 to 14 year olds worked a 10 hour day, then went to school in the evening.
    We went to the Cornish bakery for lunch. Had a Cornish pasty...was yum.
    En savoir plus