Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Treehouse hostel in Sigirya 🌳🌴🌿

    August 7, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Staying in Hostels, most of the time, is one of the best parts of travelling, as you will meet people from all over the world, share experiences and impressions and you'll get lots of recommendations and information.

    Hostel life always follows a scheme, but never is the same, wherever you are. And even if I've seen some really shitty places, calling themselves "Hostels", imo most of them are a good choice. But sometimes, there are outstanding places, built and managed by great people who have a great understanding, what are travellers needs and what backpackers are expecting from a good hostel.
    In Sigirya Treehouse Hostel, they even went a step further and built a great unique and extremely spacious hostel, integrated into the surrounding jungle.
    So there are several "treehouses", technically just Bungalows built on ~3m poles, so you are staying right into the treetops 🥰
    Sitting on your private balcony, surrounded by palms and trees, looking at the monkeys going around in the area, is an amazing start into a new day! ❤️

    Rooms are basic, but meeting local standards very well, mosquito nets provided and a nice shower. As "houseguests" are inevitable in jungle areas, we shared our bathroom with a little frog with some of it's baby's, but we easily accepted our mutual personal boundaries. 😬
    There are some rooms on the ground, too, haven't checked them, as the treehouses are awesome 😅
    Furthermore there's all you need, like a huge common area providing Billard, chess & checkers, a nice chill-area with a hammock and a big table so you will enjoy your meals together with other backpackers.
    Bar and restaurant provides everything you could need from morning to late evening, which is quite nice, as the next village is about 2.5km ahead.
    But they'll give you a lift, anytime you need, so getting around is very easy.
    They're providing a lot of activities, as most good hostels do, unfortunately the actual yoga teacher was delayed, so I wasn't able to do that. But all activities provided, were nice and I've nobody heard complaining, I think everyone there had a great time.

    Going there with my own rented scooter, gave me the freedom to do rock climbings, explorations or meeting up with other travellers at one of the villages, on my own.

    All the staff there is amazingly friendly and caring, the atmosphere is unique, and I had some great chess matches and met some travellers, I very likely will meet again, on my trip. 😎
    Read more